Sunday, April 18, 2010

The Geek Girl Dilemma

We geek girls face issues I am not sure other girls face. We spend a lot of time in front of the computer, TV, and any number for tables filled with multi sided dice, with guys. So it is inevitable that we eat like the guys, lots of pizza, soda, chips, and even when we go semi healthy we eat bite for bite with the guys. Its life.

So the dilemma comes in how do we still go raiding, throw down on the Magic the Gathering battlefield or analyze every episode of Bleach AND work out. I have done it for a year and lost about a hundred pound but as my waist has shrunk, my geek cred has grown and now I am on a plateau.

It occurred to me to now meld the two things together, my love of techie stuff and my need to look hot (even in my vans and clerks shirt).

I am going to try the following apps and report back.

http://www.fatsecret.com/ links to a calorie counter on my phone, both free and they sync up! Also I can create a group and we can actually look at our progress, set goals, and even challenges.

http://www.gymtechnik.com/ which seems to be free (for a month) and again syncs up with the website. It also lets you make you own work out, so we will see if it helps me sneak in work outs at work. For the men who want to buff up the have the “Super Hero Body” workout, most geek girls don’t want to look like Superman but we don’t mind if you do.

(Of course at both these places I have a profile as The Shrinking Geek)

I will also be doing workouts at home, after work from a few DVDs I have. Now I am not an insanely graceful person so none of those dancing videos for me. I use the Jillian Michaels set, 30 Day Shred, Banish Fat Boost Metabolism, No More Trouble Zones. The 30 Day stuff helped me lose the first 100 lbs. Target sells them for about 10 bucks a pop. They are simple calisthenics like you did in grade school.

Yourself Fitness is a neat “game” for Playstation 2. I found it easier to watch her on mute because the music is so dull. Also she is a nag if you miss a workout, and there is no way to add one from outside of the game.

So that is the general idea, as you can see from the food diary and the cheerios I ate for breakfast, I am not going all health nutty but rather small portions. I can’t just eat carrots while everyone else eats nachos.

No comments:

Post a Comment