Monday, April 19, 2010

When bad diets happen…

Ok so being that this is a weird blending of both a geek blog and a weight loss blog I thought I would try and speak on bad diets. Today’s selection is…The “Lemonade Diet” or the “Maple Syrup Diet”. This is part of the “master cleanse”, although the people I know who did it never bought that book, or followed the full plan.

Essentially you drink: http://lemonadedietrecipe.org/
o 2 tablespoons of freshly squeezed organic lemon juice
o 2 tablespoons of grade B organic maple syrup
o A 10th of a teaspoon of powdered organic cayenne pepper
o Distilled water in 10 oz glasses

Let’s start with why this is bad. You can’t live on maple syrup!!!

In better language, any time you fast you are starving yourself, or near starving yourself. After several days on this kinda of plan, when you do eat your body panics and turns its process to storing that food, you have proven to your body that you can’t feed it.

I do want to break down some of the claims here, staring with the grade B maple syrup, in popular lexicon, i.e. the people who do this plan, say it has all the nutrients you need to live. All the vitamins and minerals you need. As I told my boss who did this in 2004 “even if that is true, you cant absorb them all. A, D, E and K are all fat soluble,” meaning you must have fat present in your system to absorb those vitamins, it is why vitamin D is added to milk because you can absorb it with the fat and it will help you absorb the calcium. I digress, in the research I have done I only see that it contains Zinc and Manganese. Important minerals I am sure but in no way all you need to live on. I have yet to see anywhere that a) the diet actually claims this and b) that there are any VITMINS in the syrup.

The other claim is that you lose massive amounts of weight Yes, celebrities have used this to lose big numbers but in those cases most of them need to lose it fast and were not in it for health but rather looks. Beyonce did this diet for her role in Dream Girls, but said she would never have done this if it wasn’t for a movie, “there are better ways”. You will lose weight on this, but it will come back, and possibly more than you lost.

And lastly let’s hit on the “toxin” word briefly. Your body is not filled with toxins that you can’t purge (unless you have recently been bitten by a spider or something). Our bodies are amazing at processing the things we put in our bodies, even those that are not the best for us. We don’t need to help it.

Now I am not giving any medical advice here, I am not a doctor, this is my opinion. I also want to give them the tiniest drop of acknowledgment, they do call it a “Cleanse” so it is not meant to just cause weight lose (but it is still bullshit), that is just how people use it. Don’t do any thing that restricts your food to nothing, anyone with half a brain should be able to figure that eating nothing for days as away to lose weight is dumb…

No comments:

Post a Comment