Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Fat Acceptance...part deux

So I have decided that instead of picking a bad diet to review I would look closer at some of the "Fat Acceptence" sites and just give my opinion of them.

In general I think the concept is flawed, yes people need to learn to love themselves but I think it is unhealthy to say "I am ok with being obese". Let's be clear I do not support in any way hating yourself, but rather knowing yourself. You need to know who you are, waht you are and whether or not it is good for you.

Lets begin, shall we?

National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance or NAAFA is by far the most prestigious and the one that gets the most media attention. I am all for stopping discrimination of all kinds, which is their primary goal.
Founded in 1969, the National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance (NAAFA) is a non-profit civil rights organization dedicated to ending size discrimination in all of its forms. NAAFA's goal is to help build a society in which people of every size are accepted with dignity and equality in all aspects of life. NAAFA will pursue this goal through advocacy, public education, and support.
On the issues page they seem to be more about stopping legit discrimination agianst "people of size". This statement in particular bothers me,
Places blame on the victim ignores contributing environmental factors
I mean I understand heath problems that lead to weight gain and retention of weight but that is hardly every obese person. I think there needs to be accountability, you control your environment. You choose the french fries over veggies, trust me I know too well. On the health care part of the site
In a survey of 2,449 overweight and obese women:

* 69%experienced bias from doctors
* 52% experienced recurring incidents of bias
Now I wonder if this isn't an artifact of self reporting because I used to be annoyed going to the doctor and hearing "You know you should try to lose some weight". Maybe I just want to know what "bias" means and the context in which the question was asked.
This however is a legit problem
# Appropriate-sized medical equipment Not Available:

* Stretchers
* MRIs
* Blood pressure cuffs
* Patient gowns
* Etc..
We can't expect gettin treatment to be comfortable for an over weight person if they can't actually get treatment.

All and all a decent site with decent ideas, I would like to see more focus put on being healthy.

Next, lets look a blog or two on the topic.

Big Fat Blog and Fatshionista they seem to be all about the hard times that exist for fat people. I get it, I truly do. I hated the way the world fit me when I was fatter, I hated the way theater seats fit, the way I could not buy clothes, the fact that every time I stopped to get food I could hear the thoughts of everyone "Look at what she is eating" and it is always there, in your mind.

The fact remains that while the vocal people of the movement maybe disabled but not every fat person is disabled.

I also found a few videos for you to watch and come to your own conclusions.




I do not like MeMe Roth, just so you know. She wants to regulate how you eat and what you eat. I think that is a choice, not the goverment's job. She her in all her bitchy glory...


So in my humble opinion, stopping discrimination is very good but glorifying your own fat, very bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment