Monday, January 17, 2011

The fear of the treadmill; The desire to run

I am afraid of the Treadmill. When I was younger I fell off of several of them. I will admit that is the driving force behind the fear. I am afraid of falling off. When I did my fitness test with the trainer he thought I was joking when I told him I was afraid of it. He was shocked when I was not out of breath but my heart rate soared. I literally white knuckled a treadmill.

So this plays out in a real way. I want to run; one of my biggest desires is to be a runner. It’s a goal, one I want to be able to achieve. I am not native to Wisconsin. I am not conditioned to run outside here in Wisconsin. I can be but I think it is not something I should expect as a start to learn how to run.

To all my runners out there, the bloggers, tweeters, and friends, how can I begin this process, overcome my fear of the treadmill and be the runner I would like to be?

2 comments:

  1. Maybe start walking on it and slowly build to a jog as you get more comfortable with it. I love my treadmill. I don't use it as much as I would like to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think ultimately I am just going to have to man up. There is no good reason to be afraid of the treadmill. Maybe I will try it next week.

    ReplyDelete