Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Spirituality and Fitness

I don’t speak about spirituality very often in part because that is not what this blog, twitter, and facebook page (I still need 4 more likes) are about. I try to keep my personal views about non fitness and non geeky subjects to myself because this is the internet. The internet is wonderful at turning people with similar lifestyles against each other because the check a different box in religion, sexuality or race. With that preface I am going to talk a little about spirituality and fitness.

I have been an atheist for a long time and I have learned that it in no way makes me anti-spiritual. When I move my body for health I feel alive. I can let go of thoughts and just move my mind into my body, it makes me feel whole as few things can. Wholesome food lets me feel natural, the way I should have been if I had never had overly processed food. I get to work out and take care of myself for the pure pleasure of it all.

It compels me to wonder if fitness is a spiritual practice. I really want to know what people think about this.

Do we (after the initial shock to our system) feel compelled to keep pursuing fitness because it is spiritually fulfilling?

2 comments:

  1. I do not know if it is spiritual, but I always feel so much more alive and clear headed when I am done working out. I also liked your FB page. Please check out mine if you could . http://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Butt-Theory/193839800666973
    Thanks <3
    I need all of the help/support I can get.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are liked!

    Maybe it is just that spiritual is the best way I can describe it to people.

    ReplyDelete