Thursday, July 7, 2011

I am offended!! Am I?

Yesterday we were having a conversation in the office. A driver of ours had seen me walking on Tuesday, not my best day. I hadn’t eaten in 2 days due to an illness and my water intake was down as well. It was a slow walk but it was activity. He had seen me that day. So yesterday he makes this comment “You know if you actually want to lose weight you should power walk or run, you know.” I looked at him and nodded. Then he said “Really running is the best way to tone if you actually want to do something.”

I was offended by this, I actually thought (but did not say) “Do you know who I am? What I have done? Who are you to tell me how to lose weight?” Wow right? After the flash of anger (maybe a bit hormone driven) was gone and he left my sight, I calmed down and thought about what ran through my head.

Of course he doesn’t know who I am; to him I am an office worker. The bigger issue at hand is the big head I sometimes have on the topic of weight loss. I am successful at this, human but I have a decent handle on the weight issue. Also even if I have lost 120+ pounds I am still a fat person to random people. There is no ticker over my head that says, down 120.2 pounds. There is no badge that new people can see who just meet you. Sure your friends and family know but a stranger doesn’t.

People you just meet or family who you don’t see may just be trying to offer a suggestion. As long as it is not meant in malice, I should relax and keep things in perspective. What other things to we get offended by that if we stepped back we realize we are being an idiot?


PS. This is post number 99 for me...what should post 100 be about?

4 comments:

  1. I hate people who make those suggestions. If I want advice, I'll ask for it. Otherwise, shut up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So apparently when my co-worker finisher her lunch time run he told her

    "You know to lose the flab on your thighs and butt you really should be running high kneed in a sauna, but first you need to join a gym."

    She does, he is just an ass.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was really well timed for me. I've been having the same kinds of problems. I was at the gym the other day and while I'm doing decline crunches this guy walks up and says "you know spot reduction is a myth, right?"

    I thanked him for his suggestion and he went away, but yeah, a sign that says "lost 160 lbs, teaches Zumba, and generally wins at life" would be nice hovering over my head. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some people just aren't happy unless they're shoving their opinion down someone else's throat. You're right to put it into perspective, even if that guy is major ignorant. But if someone said that to me... I'm pretty sure "I believe you'd get your ass kicked sayin' something like that, man." ;)

    ReplyDelete