Wednesday, October 12, 2011

I am not a whale!!!!

The below is a facebook chain thing that has been going around. I know that in the fast paced world of facebook, you glace, get the jist and “like” things. I am just very tired of seeing this and I thought I would dissect what I could of it and share my feelings. As an additional note the woman that they use in the picture is a model stop saying “She is just like me”. She is paid to be beautiful and I bet she diets and exercises on a regular basis. Also in my search for the text of this, I came across several versions of it, including one that is a bit more sappy but less asinine. This is the one I have seen floating around.




A while back, at the entrance of a gym, there was a picture of a very thin and beautiful woman. The caption was "This summer, do you want to be a mermaid or a whale?"

The story goes, a woman (of clothing size unknown) answered the following way:

"Dear people, whales are always surrounded by friends (dolphins, seals, curious humans), they are sexually active and raise their children with great tenderness.
They entertain like crazy with dolphins and eat lots of prawns. They swim all day and travel to fantastic places like Patagonia, the Barents Sea or the coral reefs of Polynesia.
They sing incredibly well and sometimes even are on cds. They are impressive and dearly loved animals, which everyone defend and admires.

Mermaids do not exist.

But if they existed, they would line up to see a psychologist because of a problem of split personality: woman or fish?
They would have no sex life and could not bear children.
Yes, they would be lovely, but lonely and sad.
And, who wants a girl that smells like fish by his side?

Without a doubt, I'd rather be a whale.

At a time when the media tells us that only thin is beautiful, I prefer to eat ice cream with my kids, to have dinner with my husband, to eat and drink and have fun with my friends.

We women, we gain weight because we accumulate so much wisdom and knowledge that there isn't enough space in our heads, and it spreads all over our bodies.
We are not fat, we are greatly cultivated.
Every time I see my curves in the mirror, I tell myself: "How amazing am I ?! "

“A while back, at the entrance of a gym, there was a picture of a very thin and beautiful woman. The caption was "This summer, do you want to be a mermaid or a whale?"

The story goes, a woman (of clothing size unknown) answered the following way:”
So a gym was advertising getting thinner or probably just getting healthier…It would make me giggle. Also the bit about “size unknown” is a cheap ploy, do you believe it is a big girl who is actually going to the gym (to lose weight most likely) or a skinny woman standing up for her sisters. Why do we as women pit ourselves against each other? We seem to need to bash other women to hold ourselves up. Fat vs. Skinny. Why don’t we just help each other be healthy? This was obviously thrown in there to hit a nerve. Whenever you read one of these “feel good” chain letters they use vague phrases to rally you to the opinion you were holding anyway.

“whales are always surrounded by friends (dolphins, seals, curious humans), they are sexually active and raise their children with great tenderness.
They entertain like crazy with dolphins and eat lots of prawns.”

Whales eat seals, among other things. Whales do not seek out human or dolphin “friends”. It’s nature not finding fucking Nemo. All mammals raise their young and are sexually active. Raising and caring for their offspring is pretty normal for mammals because having live young comes with the issue of nursing. Since most mammals have to nurse they MUST care for their young to propagate the species. I have never seen a whale and a dolphin just entertaining, whatever that means, because they have no reason to consciously entertain us. Maybe I would have seen it…If I were a mermaid.

“They sing incredibly well and sometimes even are on cds. They are impressive and dearly loved animals, which everyone defend and admires.”

They do sing, or rather they communicate and we find their conversations about, eating seals or whatever, beautiful. Just as we find something said in a language we do not know seductive or beautiful. We have no meaning to the words therefore we can listen to just the tonality and musicality of the sound. Not everyone defends and admires whales, there are still people who would hunt them into extinction regardless of their beauty.

“Mermaids do not exist.

But if they existed, they would line up to see a psychologist because of a problem of split personality: woman or fish?
They would have no sex life and could not bear children.
Yes, they would be lovely, but lonely and sad.
And, who wants a girl that smells like fish by his side?”

Why do we make assumptions onto myths? In fairytales and myths mermaids are seductive capable of love, obviously they procreate because they do not die out. Is live birth the only valid why to give birth?

Regardless of all the mythology here, what this is attempting to say is thin is unhealthy. That they do not like or enjoy having sex and that they have difficulty bearing children. Thin women are beautiful but lonely. Also they stink? It’s a thinly (pardon the turn of phrase) veiled attack on thin people. You are not bad if you are thin or fat, you are bad if you live an unhealthy lifestyle.

“At a time when the media tells us that only thin is beautiful, I prefer to eat ice cream with my kids, to have dinner with my husband, to eat and drink and have fun with my friends.”

You can do that, eating drinking and being happy does not mean you can’t be healthy. As women age they cannot take care of all their loved ones when they are unhealthy. I do all of the above and I still watch the weight trickle down. I am no good to them as a “whale”.

“We women, we gain weight because we accumulate so much wisdom and knowledge that there isn't enough space in our heads, and it spreads all over our bodies.
We are not fat, we are greatly cultivated.”
This is the dumbest thing I have ever read. And I have read the first 2 chapters of Twilight. We women gain weight because classically we are willing to give up our health to care for others. Women are far more likely to miss working out to take care of their home. In an age where there are almost as many women as men in the workplace women still do 75%-80% of all household duties, including childcare. Some of us are fat, some are not, we all should strive for health not a number.

“Every time I see my curves in the mirror, I tell myself: "How amazing am I ?! "

This might be the only thing I kind of agree with, but only without the context of the story. Women are amazing, our bodies are amazing. We are meant to have, love and seduce with our curves. Fat women of the world (myself included) stop thinking a roll is a curve. We cannot embrace fat as the right way to be a “being a woman”.

Let the angry comments begin.

2 comments:

  1. Women without curves are not real.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I also read this a few days ago, while I agree that's it great to feel confident and proud of your body but this seems like another excuse for obesity!! Rolls are not curves! I agree.

    ReplyDelete