Monday, January 23, 2012

2Nd Shift?

I have an interview with a company next week. Let me go back though.

I like my job well enough, I am good with numbers and good with people but in the last 3 years I have some how moved from my logistics/transportation background into an accounting sort of role. I have respect for the people that do that but being good at something is not the same as enjoying it thoroughly. I thoroughly enjoy logistics, nothing makes me feel more in the zone than coordinating where things are, when they will arrive and the accuracy of the shipment. It is fast paced and continually changing. I will be honest though, my current job is 1000 times better than my previous one, less stress and fewer personal problems being aired in public. No body here is continually cheating on their spouse and expecting those of us in the office to constantly tell the spouse he is at the gym, which he was but with the mistress.

I am a temp and while that carries the advantage of not being tied down it also means I am going on near 3 years without ANY health insurance or anything. I have not had a paid holiday or vacation in 3 years, which means I did not get paid for Christmas, New Years or my trip last August to GenCon. I have not had any 401k, FSA or dental. Those are privileges I miss.

I realize that most temps want to be hired by their perspective company but I don’t see that happening. I have been told on multiple occasions that they LOVE hiring temps because it is just easier, they don’t have to offer benies and they don’t have to give vacation or holiday pay. I also fear that with my companies impending move that there will be internal restructuring that tips me towards being a sales rep and that is not something I want to do. Sure I can sell but I don’t like forcing myself on people, calling to tempt them and the like, it’s not something I feel too comfortable doing.

Now we get back to the title of this post, I have an interview with a huge logistics company. It’s a job that I can really sink my teeth into. It’s the kind of company that offers vacation, personal days and paid holidays. They are the full benefits type of company and the prospect has me excited. A job that pays more (like 4k a year more) and has benefits, I was sold.

However like all good things there is a drawback, nothing works with out a casting cost of some kind. It is a second shift position, 3pm to 11pm. Now on the face, that looks really nice to me. I work better later in the day and I regularly stay up until Midnight anyway. The issue becomes all the things I love about being a geek take place between 7:30 and 11:00. I would have to cease ALL my gaming sessions or alter them in some way. Also all that time where I get to curl up with my baby and watch old TV shows would be gone too. He would be home for several hours with out me. There is every possibility that he will be asleep when I get home at night, every night.

All of this is hypothetical since all I have is an interview and no offer but I need to think about this. There are obvious benefits beyond just the compensation package. I mean I can hit the gym at 1:00 and shower there and go to work, or I can join my other late nighters at 11:00(ish) at the gym. I could also start helping and working with Meg on her Center of Muse classes. I can’t help but wonder if it is going to be worth it.

To be perfectly clear my sweetie and I both agree I should go to the interview. I need to at least meet with them.

Has anyone out there had an experience close to this? What do you think I am failing to consider? Frankly does any one have any advice?

No comments:

Post a Comment